Open shelving in the kitchen is a trend that’s here to stay.
Not only does it provide an opportunity to showcase your favorite dishes and cookware, but it also adds a touch of personality and charm to your space.
However, styling open shelves can be a bit tricky. You want them to look effortlessly chic, not cluttered or chaotic.
As an interior design specialist, I’m here to guide you through the process of creating a beautifully styled open shelf decor in your kitchen.
Understanding the basics of open shelf decor
Before we dive into the specifics, let’s first understand what makes open shelving so appealing.
Open shelves offer a functional and aesthetic advantage over traditional closed cabinets.
They make your kitchen feel more spacious and allow you to display your beautiful kitchenware, plants, or even artwork.
However, the key to achieving an effortlessly chic look lies in balance. You don’t want your shelves to look too busy or too bare.
Here are some basic rules to follow:
- Keep it simple: don’t overcrowd your shelves. Leave some space between items for a clean, uncluttered look.
- Mix and match: combine different types of items – dishes, cookbooks, plants – for visual interest.
- Stick to a color scheme: choose a color palette that complements your kitchen’s overall design.
Selecting the right items for your shelves
The items you choose to display on your open shelves can make or break the overall look. Here are some items that work well:
- Dishes: display your favorite dishes or those with interesting designs or colors.
- Cookbooks: a few well-placed cookbooks can add a pop of color and show off your culinary interests.
- Plants: small plants or herbs not only look great but can also be used in your cooking.
- Artwork: small pieces of art or decorative items can add a personal touch to your kitchen.
Arranging items on your shelves
Once you’ve selected the right items, it’s time to arrange them on your shelves. Here are some tips:
- Start with larger items: place your largest items first and then fill in with smaller ones.
- Create balance: try to balance the weight of items on each shelf. For example, if you have a stack of plates on one end, balance it with a similarly sized item on the other end.
- Add depth: place some items further back and some up front to create depth and interest.
Keeping your open shelves looking great
Maintaining your open shelves is just as important as styling them. Here are some maintenance tips:
- Clean regularly: dust and clean your shelves regularly to keep them looking their best.
- Rotate items: change out items every so often for a fresh look.
- Keep it functional: remember, your open shelves are not just for display. They should also be functional. Keep items you use regularly within easy reach.
Brands to consider for open shelf decor
There are many brands that offer stylish and functional items for open shelf decor.
Some of my favorites include Ikea, known for their affordable and minimalist designs, Pottery Barn, which offers a range of rustic and vintage-inspired pieces, and West Elm, renowned for their modern and chic designs.
Styling open shelf decor in your kitchen doesn’t have to be complicated.
With these tips and tricks, you can create a space that’s not only functional but also reflects your personal style.
So go ahead, give your kitchen an effortlessly chic makeover with open shelves!