Germany’s Deutsche Bahn (DB) has showcased what the future of train travel could very well look like, promoting a reimagined cabin fitted with Gauzy SPD smart glass technology that lets passengers control light levels through a sliding touch panel instead of traditional roller shutters or curtains.
Featured as part of DB’s ‘Idea Train’ initiative, where partners work together to develop new interior concepts for train travel, Rehau delivered Gauzy based SPD smart glass for the train’s side windows, ushering in a new era of privacy and shading solutions for passengers.
Gauzy’s advanced SPD smart glass is controlled electrically, creating custom dimming and segmented blinds that block up to 95% of visible light to control glare and temperature – ensuring a comfortable environment for passengers.
Easily controlled with a digital interface, passengers experience a modern fully user-controlled shading experience integrated directly into glass. Removing the need for traditional motorized blinds, Gauzy’s SPD smart glass provides an easy to clean, energy-efficient and easily maintained smart shading solution.
The smart train brings to life some of the key advantages of SPD over traditional shading applications including:
- Reimagined Shading – Dimming features allow complete control of how much light enters a space for a comfortable experience
- Energy Efficient – Improve energy ratings and earn green points by mitigating lighting and heating/cooling costs
- Maintenance Made Easy – Requiring virtually no maintenance on the mechanical side,
- Easy-to-clean – smart glass also cleans just regular glass and as the shading application is better protected from vandalism.
- Embraces modernity: Enables a sleek, chic design aesthetic that elevates passengers’ travel experience.
About SPD Smart Glass
SPD based Smart Glass films developed and manufactured by Gauzy are laminated between two pieces of glass or polycarbonate with adhesive interlayers to create LCG® Smart Glass. SPD Smart Glass can be composed of multiple types of glass and implemented into IGUs to best fit a project’s needs. Learn more about SPD technology here.
Gauzy is a world leading vendor of material science, focused on developing, manufacturing, and marketing LCG® (light control glass) technology. As the only company in the world working with two of the three active light control technologies, SPD and PDLC, Gauzy is a true pioneer in its field.
For more than 70 years, REHAU has been driven by the ambition to enhance the lives of people around the world by developing innovative polymer-based solutions that continue to redefine what is possible in construction, automotive and industry.